Thursday, July 24, 2014

Whatever Happened to Aging Gracefully

In anticipation of an upcoming trip, I decided that I needed something appropriate to wear while visiting the churches in Italy.  I haven't purchased any clothes in well over a year and decided it was time.  What a shock to my system.  I knew I was gaining weight when my dad was dying but he was my priority and taking care of myself wasn't something I was thinking about.  But seeing myself in the awful lighting with full length 3 way mirrors reflecting me from every angle was horrifying.  Had I really gained that much weight? - a trip to my scales upon arriving home confirmed it.  I knew I'd let myself go but this couldn't be.  Had I really aged that much?  A good look in the mirror for the first time in years confirmed that yes I had.  Where had all those spots and wrinkles come from.  Why was my face looking so puffy?  When did everything start sagging so much? 

Truth be told I haven't been taking care of myself for years.  There was always someone else to take care of.  But now after this thorough self-examination I have to admit that something must be done.  I'm in my mid-fifties and hoping it's not too late.  The irony of it all is that I'd promised myself that I would make my fifties the best time of my life and really focus on taking care of myself.  I lost 25 lbs. without much effort - then my mother died before my 51st birthday and the nightmare began.  I've been steadily gaining weight ever since then.  While I've read that stress can really age a woman, I'm can confirm that this is a fact as I'm looking in the mirror at living proof.  So as soon as I return from my upcoming trip serious new lifestyle changes are going to be kicked into gear and self-discipline will be needed.  

In the meantime, I'm looking for older inspiration.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...